Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lunchtime run

One of the perks of my office is the gym/locker room in the basement. Not that there's much to it, but 1. it's free and 2. it allows me to go out during the middle of the day and get in a run and shower all in my hour lunch break. I esepcially love doing this during the winter months when I'm driving to work in the dark and leaving work in the dark; I just need a little time outside to remind myself that the sun does exist.

Yesterday was one of those days. I had been pretty grouchy that I hadn't been able to run, but with a gorgeous 70 degree fall day I couldn't help myself. I felt better and wanted to get out and do one of my favorite 3 mile loops. I call that loop the "Monument loop". How cool is it to get out and see the White House, WWII Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument (and the Capitol off in the distance) in roughly 30 minutes. When I have more time, often after work, I'll tack on another mile and go around the Tidal Basin to see the Jefferson Memorial. There are very few big intersections to cross along 17th Street so it makes for pretty ideal city running and the shady part along the Reflection pool is awesome when it's a bit hotter. I'm always amazed at how many other runners are out there during the day too.

No comments: