Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I hate being late

Somehow time slipped away from me and I left work late which means I got to the Tuesday night Pacers fun run a couple of minutes late. As I was pulling up the group was pulling away. I could see them a block and a half away as I parked. Three blocks away as I stood on the other side of the street and waited for the light to change so I could cross (never jaywalk in Old Town during rush hour). By the time I started running I knew I would have to run as fast as I could to catch up to them. Forget stretching, I just wanted to run with someone, keep my routine. Not stretching was the first bad idea, running on my toes to help with speed was my second bad idea. About half a mile into the room I thankfully caught Jo at the back of the pack. Totally out of breath I asked to stop to stretch a little; my left shin was throbbing, a typical not stretching enough feeling. But then another mile into it as we hit the Commonwealth hill I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time, and didn't ever really want to feel again, I felt an sharp sting in my broken toe. I wiggled my toes a bit and knew I hadn't re-fractured it, but about 30 seconds later it had turned to a dull ache. We stopped and I stretched my foot.
At the 2 mile point we turned to come back down the hills and I walked down the hills to avoid jamming my toes in the toe box of my shoes. Either the ache went away or else is just spread over my left foot and I finished strong.

No comments: